Monday, April 18, 2011

Come on Camel Let's Go Desert

As much fun as the Holi festival was, the city of Jaipur itself was pretty unremarkable. It was huge, and Fish and I didn't really dig the vibe, y'know what I'm sayin? Plus, we had an acquaintance to reconnect with; a French girl I had met a month and a half before on the beach of Gokarna, a place that is very near to what my definition of paradise would be; more topless women would've done the trick, but I hear in Brazil they have them in abundance so at least those places exist somewhere. Anyways! What was I saying? Something about Paradise? Shoeless dancing around a fire? Meat on a stick BBQ'd just the way you like it? Warm ocean water cleansing away worries cares thoughts? No, no, I was talking about Jaipur: a massive, dirty city in the middle of the desert, and us leaving it.

We were off to meet Lisa. She was hidden away in a wonderful little hippie hideout called Pushkar, a small town with narrow streets, a beautiful ghat (which is a huge square pool situated in the middle of town, old whitewashed buildings surrounding it), and pretty much all you could want. Well, everything but meat and beer (needless to say, Fishman wasn't to pleased, luckily for him we didn't stay long). It really was a nice place, a small desert village with narrow streets and tall square buildings, bustling with tourists and those wishing to sell them things. It was there I saw my first camel, huge things those are. We stayed two days, and decided that together we would head to Jaiselmer, a place far off in the desert, about 50 clicks from the Pakistan border, where a massive red fort has sat on a cliff overlooking the town for almost a thousand years.

Now, Jaiselmer is likely one of my favorite places that I've visited so far. It's just so impressive. Not only that, but the fort, despite is age, is still living. What I mean to say is that people still live inside; children play cricket in the narrow lanes, clothes dry on lines over our heads; cafe's, offices, restaurants all reside within its walls. It's really it's own little town within a town, and it's where the three of us stayed. The outside of the fort was impressive enough, but inside was majestic, balconies of stone ornately carved existed wherever you looked up. The rooms that the three of us stayed in were easily the most luxurious, while also being the cheapest, and the staff was warm, friendly, and made sure they had loads of cold beer ready for us (they quickly learned Fish and I's habits). At night, you could eat in a restaurant atop one of the turrets and look out over the city. I could have stayed there for days. Could of, but what brought us to Jaiselmer wasn't really the fort, it was the ability to jump on a camel and go off into the desert for a couple of days and have a look around. Three days, to be exact. Along the way we met a peculiar German man named Elmar who would join us on the trip, he had a peculiar way of speaking and an accent that Fish and I spent the rest of the week mimicking. We were to meet with the rest of our desert troupe the following morning and start off. Despite this Fish and I drank several beers and played cards until 2 in the morning, as we are wont to do.  

Along with Fish, Lisa, and myself there was two Scots and an American joining us. We were to drive out of town about an hour and rendezvous with our guides and their camels. During the drive I fell asleep holding 24 eggs and nothing terrible happened.

Okay, so it's 9 am and I'm staring at a 10 foot camel who is munching on his own teeth. The camel makes this really pleasant *crunch* sound, like biting into fresh vegetables, every time he bites down. I can feel the heat creeping up on us already. I've decided to use a white t-shirt as a pseudo-turban, and it helps. My camel's name was Tiger and he yelled a lot as the camel men loaded him with cargo for the trip. It was either *crunch* *crunch* *crunch* or braarrwaarrggurrghh!! After listening to the grunts of camels for a few days, I'm convinced the people who make movies involving big monsters/dinosaurs/etc. used camel recordings and just tweaked them to fit the particular monster/dinosaur/angry woman. Bwrawarrgguuurrrr!

Camels have the astounding ability to appear eminently wise and incredibly stupid at the same time.

Anyways I'm standing there staring at this camel making all sorts of terrifying sounds and am told that now I am to jump on top of it. Sure man, whatever you say, up I go. Naturally, with my additional weight, Tiger makes more protests, but to no avail. I pat him on the neck and tell its all good buddy, you're with me now, and if you don't shut up I'll get a stick and beat you with it. After a few days, as I began to learn camel-speak, the two of us grew to appreciate each other.

We were off into the great bright wilderness of the north Indian desert. It didn't take long before my inner thighs were chaffed and sore, but the bleakness of the surroundings more than made up for it. The landscape was primarily red dirt, with small shrubs and the occasional tree, and there were small hills that divided the flat desert valleys. Surprisingly, there was no real sand though, or very little of it; it was just really dry ground. There were loads of wildlife flitting through arid landscape too; vultures (huge birds!) we're seen on a distant tree before they swooped off; gazelles, looking very similar to small Canadian deer, scurried about, afraid of everything; I saw a small red fox saunter through the shrubbery, completely disinterested with us; there were all kinds of birds, an occasional dog (they're freakin everywhere in India) and of course, goats, but we'll get to goats in a little while.What was a very bizarre addition to the landscape was an endless stretch of huge, 50m tall wind turbines. The turbines made this eerie wooshing sound that seemed to complement the silence, to complete our feeling of isolation. We walked through the desert for several hours before settling under a tree and setting up for lunch: cauliflower curry and chapati cooked over a fire, with a nice hot chai to wash it down. After lunch we waited out the hot afternoon sun under the shade of a tree, lazily falling in and out of sleep. For the next three days I did very little other than sit on a camel or lay on the ground, with the occasional stroll from one tree to the next. Oh yeah, while in the desert Fish and I helped kill something, but that comes later.

At around 5 or 6 in the evening, we finally approached what appeared to be a sand dune. Judging from the surrounding area, it's a bit out of place. But it was a perfect spot to set up a fire, roast some chappati's, and settle down for sleep. The sun went down and the stars came up. It was truly a beautiful environment to exist in. Utter silence but for the occasional mew of a camel and the snap of the fire. We had warm blankets and comfortable conversation, warm beer and cold chapati's, and, of course, the brilliant starry sky. It was beautiful, there was no doubt. Seeing sand dune and star, with a chewing outline of a camel right before I closed my eyes for sleep, is a memory I will long keep with me. It was cold at night, but that's the desert, hot hot days and frigidly cold nights.

We awoke just before the sun rose, and watched it light up the desert as we sipped our morning chai's. Back on the camels, we sauntered once again through the desert. One of the conversations that floated around the night before was the potential to buy a goat and eat it over the fire (we were told it was a vegetarian desert trek, and it was, until the potential for some truly carnivorous actions were presented to us). I mulled this option over for most of the day. We would kill it, clean it, disembowel it, then chop it up and cook it, oh, and pay for it too (of course). Did I want to do that? Goats had been a mainstay of the landscape since we've been out here, and I had to admit, these tiny little desert goats were pretty danm cute. Did I want to kill one and eat it? Yes, after careful consideration, I did, in fact, want to kill a goat and then eat it. You see the way I figure it is I'd been a meat eater all my life. And for the most part I'd found that meat in a grocery store in neat little packages. This was my opportunity to erase the massive disconnect I have with meat and live animals, and if I couldn't handle the raw reality of death that surrounds every chunk of meat I eat, than I shouldn't eat it at all. Okay then, a goat's fate has been sealed.

I gave the camel man some rupees and he was off in search of a goat. We set up our camp for the second night and awaited our dinner. There was a nervous tension surrounding the camp. Apparently, this was a bit of a secret service provided by the camel men, they wanted to make sure that no one told home base about it, because they might get in trouble. Some of the girls weren't too happy about the idea, and so naturally the camel men were concerned they would rat them out. Nevertheless, the deed was carried out, and at around 8 o'clock, long after night had descended, we heard the faint bleating of a goat being brought to its demise. This bleating naturally aroused sorrow with the people against the whole thing, so we set up a smaller camp away from the rest, one out view and (somewhat) out of earshot.

I had my headlamp, a camel man had another, and Fish had a small travel lamp--it was under LED light that we slaughtered a goat in the desert. I held its legs, a small bunch of leafs were placed under the goats head. I silently thanked the goat, and then, without any ceremony or 'a few words', Mr. Khan the camel man brought the blade to the goat's throat and began to saw. The goat kicked but I held him in place. The goat screamed, loud and shrill, twice, as the blade cut deeper into his neck. It occurred to me that the screams were uttered not from the poor goats mouth, but from his open throat, ugh. A few quick saws later and the head was off. I held one leg, Fish another, and we raised the newly-dead goat up while Mr. Khan peeled the goat's hide off like a sock. Then we punctured his skin. I pulled out his stomach, which was full, and tossed it. It felt like a big rubber balloon filled with jello. Next came his intestines and kidneys and etc., all chucked into the sand. Then, almost like magic, the goat transformed from animal to meat; into recognizable chunks of (nearly) grocery-store meat.

Mr. Khan quickly chopped up the meat and over a fire we cooked up goat curry along with BBQ'd legs. And God damn it all, the goat was delicious. It was really good. I ate until I could barely get up. We drank whiskey and beer and ate the freshest goat of our lives.

Okay then, I guess I'm a carnivore after all. Mr Fish had no compunction over the death of the goat, and while I experienced a moment of horror when breath still shot out of the decapitated goat's body, I was okay with it too. I'm allowed to eat meat now, and continue the cycle of death, without remorse. Hooray.

I'll finish on a lighter note. On the first night, while we were in awe of the stars and of us being in the desert, a camel man sang us a song. It was an old camel-man song sung by the men of the trade for generations, and it was beautiful. Afterwards, he sang a more modern rendition. You are aware of the song barbie girl? well, so were the camel men: 'I'm a camel man, in a camel laaand ...and then... Come on camel let's go desert ah ah ahhhh yeah'. Ugh. That song remained in my head for days. Horrible. So, please, do your best to imagine it now: Under the desert stars, around a desert fire, a high pitched, poorly sung cover of Barbie Girl,  performed by Tiger and the Camel Men. (ah ah ah yeah)

Intestines still fine.




No comments:

Post a Comment